Games 5 & 6 - The 1913 Season

  • Posted on: 29 December 2014
  • By: lrigby

Game 5 (January 23, 1913) - Sydney Millionaires 7 - Halifax Crescents 4On January 23rd Sydney was on home ice against the Halifax Crescents.  The Millionaires were able to electrify 2500 fans with a seven to four win.  The fans were anticipating a nasty game after the previous rough game in Halifax between the same two teams but from all accounts it was a very clean game with few penalties and lots of action.  Players on the Crescents were also surprised, thinking that it might be necessary to have police protection from Sydney’s fans.  The game was characterized by two events: Fraser's slash of Harry Scott, putting Scott out of the game and a goal from Cap MacDonald scored from center ice.  Sydney’s new players, Randall and Mohan received ice time switching at the center position.  The Sydney Post seemed enthusiastic about the new additions stating, "The Millionaires are materially strengthened by the new additions and the chances of the cup and championship landing on this side of the strait are brighter that ever."

Sydney's win over the Crescents put them into a tie for first place with the New Glasgow Cubs.  The Moncton Victorias and the Halifax Socials were also very close to the lead with only the Halifax Crescents lagging behind the other teams.  The tight race was increasing the fan interest in the MPHA.

Despite the clean game, the press was still focusing on the violence in the MPHA and the Millionaires had become a focal point for the sport editors from the other cities' newspapers.  Sydney's reputation became notorious across Canada, making the front page in papers in Toronto and Montreal.  The Sydney Post's sports editor explained the reputation by stating that "somebody in Halifax is trying to blacken the Sydney team and has succeeded in arousing a great deal of liberties."  Sydney's press and fans were upset that the Halifax papers were feeding the Upper Canadian papers with false impressions of the Millionaires.

Game 6 (January 28, 1913) - Sydney Millionaires 1 - Halifax Socials 6 On January 28th, the Sydney Millionaires faced the Halifax Socials at the Halifax Arena in front of 5000 fans.  The socials dominated the game from start to finish with Sydney's lone goal scored of a long shot from the wing by Ken Randall.  It was a clean game with Toby MacDonald in goal being Sydney's only star of the evening.  From reports in a Halifax paper, Sydney fans lost plenty of money off of game wagers.  The mood of the their fans was summed up in a Sydney paper the following day with a short poem from the Sydney Echo's sports editor who began identifying himself as Otto B. Kilde making reference to the violence in the MPHA.

            the outlook's gloomy, to be sure,

                        Our hopes sink lower every week:

            the Cubs gave us a chill before,

                        Now Socials have the winning streak         

                                                                        -Otto B. Kilde

After such a decisive lost to the Halifax Socials, some of Sydney's fans began to rumble about the interference by the team executive into game time decisions.  It was reported that the executive had traveled to Halifax with the team and took control from the team manager Morley.  There was a call from the fans to install a regular team manager who would not be interfered with by the executive or any other group.

On that Monday, an interesting article from the Eastern Chronicle Newspaper claimed that Chester Gregory, the owner and player of the New Glasgow Cubs, had been ordered by the I.C.R. (Intercolonial Railroad) to choose between his job and playing hockey.  If Chester was to continue to play he would no longer be granted his leave of absence and would be fired.  Speculation began to circulate that Moncton fans had instigated the plan to remove Gregory from the league because of his successful management of the New Glasgow Cubs and their threat to Moncton as league leaders.  Once the scandal broke in the papers the I.C.R. made arrangements with Gregory to allow him to retain his management of the Cubs.